FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FAQ regarding GAFA units.
Our security guards have linked panic buttons with MAMBA armed response and can call for back-up should an incident require it.
When you know that you will be coming home late, you can tell the guard on duty and arrange with them to be ready to receive you and make sure the gates are open and you do not have to wait for them, as the gates are locked at 21h00. Please don’t hoot.
Should your keys be lost, the deposit will be utilized for the replacement thereof. It is always a good idea to leave a set of keys with a neighbour you trust, and / or with a child, family member or friend.
Spare keys to all the units are kept in a secure key store and only the Assistant Manager and General Manager has access to that store.
Water is invoiced at the cost to the Organization, divided by all residents inclusive of the entire property. Ihlati residents’ water is read and there might be a decision to charge for water used per unit. Water meters are read regularly. It is envisioned for the future to have pre-paid water and electricity meters.
NO outside cleaners will be allowed on a regular or occasional basis. This is to control access in the very best interest of all residents’ security.
You will also be required to keep the unit in a clean, neat and tidy condition at all times. Quarterly visits will be done to your unit to ensure that all rules, regulations and upkeep of the unit are adhered to.
The rules and regulations are not there to make any of our residents feel as if they are being treated like children, but simply in the interest of all in our communal living projects.
- Communal water [note should utility fees require a decision can be taken to pay for water in the near future]
- Insurance of the building
- Communal lighting on the premises
- Nursing support and Care Giver
- Maintenance of the exterior of your unit
- Handyman services
- Garden service
- Fire prevention and extinguisher training
- Waste removal
- Admin and overheads
- Availability of support services on the premises like, hairdresser and Sr. Christelle Pretorius.
- Unfortunately, because no unit is separately fenced, no cats or dogs are allowed on the premises. It is a ruling that only two pot plants are allowed on the stoep, unless the landscaping and positioning of the plants are aesthetically to the satisfaction of management. No cluttering of pot plants and outdoor furniture is allowed. Plastic furniture becomes brittle and can lead to accidents.
- Please be aware that our Care Centre and Village is a NON-SMOKING zone, and we encourage all residents and visitors to please respect this as we are protecting our frail and vulnerable older persons.
- Your geyser has a time switch installed to make sure we do not run into demand billing.
- Payment of accounts happen on the 1st of each month. Any account not paid by the 7th of the month will accrue interest at 2.5%. Should you at any time – due to illness or any unforeseen circumstance not be able to pay your account on time you can arrange to prevent interest and penalties.
- Should you need to visit the doctor, optometrist, shopping centres’, etc. we do offer a courtesy driver, that by appointment can take you. AA tariffs apply to traveling distance.
Optional extras that may be arranged include: laundry, transport, courier, hairdressing, meals, e-mails sent and doctors’ visits.
You will be paid back 80% of your original sales price on the resale of your unit. Should a unit be sold due to the passing away of a resident, the monies will be paid into the Late Estate.
Don’t walk on the grass, remain on the pathway and use the hand rails.
From time to time it is statutory for Management to practice an evacuation drill. Most drills will be announced, but an unannounced drill may take place occasionally. Management keeps a list of residents at risk and allocates able bodies to assist in case of a fire drill.
FAQ regarding emergencies.
Make sure that your neighbour knows your routines, consider a whistle around your neck to assist you if you are living alone and prone to falling. Always remove keys from the inside of your door. Should an emergency occur and your unit needs to be opened phone helpdesk on 011 383 0000. This process may take 30 minutes after hours or over weekends.
Should the nurse feel that you may be taken better care of in the Care Centre, she will inform you of this. You will be taken to the Care Centre in a wheelchair, and our Nursing Service Manager will be informed of this.
Should you fall ill, have been hospitalized and need professional care, but the hospital has discharged you – you are entitled to a three day stay in the Care Centre (complimentary). These days are calculated per financial year (01 February – 31 March. If you need to stay longer, you will be charged a daily fee, and this will be added to your monthly account, with consultation and explanation.
FAQ regarding GAFA management.
Board members that are residents are voted for by the residents’ forums. The forum members are nominated by their fellow residents to be part of the residents’ forum. On this forum issues are discussed that have a direct impact on your stay in the village.
The Board consists of 40% residents, 40% community members and 20% staff members. Meetings are held quarterly. Please enquire for a copy of the constitution.
- The Chatter Box
This is a by-monthly newsletter that is available to each resident with news, birthdays, tit-bits, and important information that is shared with residents.
Bulk SMS / WhatsApp are broadcasted to communicate a recreational activity, maintenance work that is undertaken etc.